Disney's Lack of POCs while I was growing up







("Alex" played by Selena Gomez)                          ("London" played by Brenda Song)

Something interesting from MissRepresentation that I want to talk about on this blog is the effect movies and TV have on young girls. They brought up the idea that if girls don't seem themselves (meaning other women) in different fields and movies where they are successful then they won't ever achieve their dreams. I agree with this but something that affected me way more as a child was not seeing POC in the TV and movies I watched. There was a time when I was watching Disney Channel and all the main TV shows featured a woman, but only one POC. Selena Gomez became my idol because she was the only girl who starred in a TV show (Wizards of Waverly Place) that wasn't about a white girl, specifically a blonde white girl. I began to believe that the only way someone who looked like me could be successful was if they were blessed with being a wizard of some sort. Hannah Montana really discouraged me when she had to wear a blonde wig while she was Hannah Montana terrorizing me into thinking having any other colored hair meant I couldn't achieve my goals. It got even worse when the only POC on Disney Channel at the time, Selena, was on Hannah Montana as her rival "Mikayla". They always showed them fighting for success, Mikayla being the reason she would get into trouble and her inevitably beating Mikayla in the industry. Then I started watching The Suite Life of Zac and Cody. Starring the two boys, one making comments and calling the girls "sweet thang" in the show, I spotted another female POC "London Tipton". London played by Brenda Song was this "poor little rich girl" who was often described as dumb, spoiled, and an airhead. However, her friend Maddie played by Ashely Tisdale was blonde, smart, and gorgeous. Yet again my little POC mind was disappointed that I could never be smart or successful, because of what Disney Channel showed me about woman of color.




(Mikayla played by Selena Gomez on Hannah Montana)                                       (Hannah Montana played by Miley Cyrus)

("Maddie" played by Ashley Tisdale

Comments

  1. It really is disappointing to reflect on the lack of representation in these shows that were so fundamental to our childhoods. Also, shoutout to That's So Raven, because she was and is a goddess :). My question for you, is has it gotten better? I mean (obviously Disney Channel shows have gotten worse but) has the representation of more POCs become a good sign, or a desperate act from Disney to right their wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to add to the Maddie being smart and London being an airhead...... Even though London was dumb, I thought that was one of the most subtle yet best ways to combat stereotypes...... The stereotype that all Asians are smart and cheap. The stereotype of the "dumb blonde". They were combatted in subconscious ways and honestly, for me, it worked.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts