Meeting Demographics




This week, after learning a lot of how ads get to us, I started noticing a lot more of ads trying to target an audience and trying to be seen. I was watching Survivor on the CBS website, and one particular ad caught my attention. It was an AT&T ad with the slogan "More for your thing, that's our thing".The first thing that I thought about this ad is how it doesn't target me. The demographic for watching Survivor is more adults who have to pay for there own phone data and have an average income. I do not fit this demographic so this ad didn't really affect me the way when an ad is shown for, let's say, a makeup line playing during Riverdale would because I meet that demographic. I feel that's the risk of advertising is what if the demographic you are trying to reach suddenly isn't being predictable? What if there are too many outliers who still want your product but aren't appearing to be watching a predictable channel? The true question is how to reach people when people are all multifaceted. The next thing that struck me about this ad was the slogan "More for your thing, that's our thing". The AT&T slogan is so vague it poses questions like "what's my thing?" and "how does my thing become your thing". What if my thing is not having 5000 channels and unlimited data would that also be AT&T's thing? I really don't think that's what AT&T is trying to say but the vagueness creates room for misinterpretation.

AT&T ad

Comments

  1. I’ve thought never thought about that, audiences changing faster than advertisers. I only thought of it in terms of the shows or movies themselves not being able to connect with viewers. There was a news article I saw about how kids are growing up so fast now and seeing more mature things on platforms like Netflix, so companies like Disney have had trouble adapting to kids’ interests. But reading this, I now imagine that the advertisers that usually play on the channel probably face a similar predicament.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The slogan is truly deceptive, in many ways, especially since it's so vague it leaves a question in your mind. I believe that's how advertisements and slogans get you though, the more it's stuck in your mind the better business it's for them. It poses a question that can't really be solved. I find it quite interesting how they manipulate minds so easily, and for the demographics, it's kind of...expected? Since there are so many niches that a lot of TV shows fill. The niche market is definitely a big one, it's not surprising that they'd chime in. I do find it odd though that there would be an AT&T commercial for a TV show like survivor, it's pretty ironic if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts